Topic Two Blog Post

The article Teaching Online as Instructional Change has constructed an observation-like state into how I take in my education. Most prominently pandemic learning comes to mind. Sitting at my desk on zoom for the multitude of synchronous classes that occurred every day, the online textbooks, video assignments and readings, and the university’s course management system, Brightspace. But do you see it right now? What is it to you at this exact moment? For me, I sit here writing this blog, I am utilizing the jumbled letters on my laptop to present you with coherent sentences, watching the men’s 4X400M final in the Olympics, and am enjoying the warm embrace of my freshly brewed coffee. Originally, I would not give a second thought to the amount of technology that is engrained into my life as it has become almost invisible to the naked eye because of our sheer reliance on it.

As a perspective teacher I found the Strategies Whether to Change very insightful as by introducing or providing the option of online learning students are presented with change. So, considering these strategies becomes essential. 1. Consider Core Values – why is it that you teach (Major, 2015)? Would the implementation of online learning hinder or expand your teaching potentiality? As a student who has been actively enthralled in the world of online education throughout the pandemic, I am more inclined to think about the negatives of online learning as students have had extensively limited social contact. In fact, I am nervous about not remembering people’s name due to the lack of Zoom’s little nametags. 2. Consider the Catalyst for Change – What is spurring us to teach online (Major, 2015)? Is it because of a need such as the pandemic or access, or is it something else, an interest perhaps? For me, I would be driven to offer online learning for the chance of equal access; so that those with disabilities, who fall ill, or those who are not in an appropriate mental state can still access quality education. 3. Consider the Specific Goals for Change – Why is it that we want to teach online (Major, 2015)? Similar to above, I would want to achieve equal access no matter the situation for all students in my class as everyone deserves to learn. 4. Consider the Readiness for Change – being prepared: knowing and understanding what changes are required and what practices will be necessary in order to change (Major, 2015).

The other reading this week provided an in-depth view of the various open learning options available to all. I felt most enamoured by the multitude of publications cross referenced by topic area here: http://www.katyjordan.com/go_gn/network/ Further, the descriptions of each topic area allowed me to better understand how one could achieve the implementation of online education as mentioned above.

Overall, this weeks’ readings proved to be incredibly helpful for my own learning journey within the parameters of this course as well as in my personal life as I engage in the multitude of resources and academics online.

Arcos, B. D. (2019, August 27). Openness and education: A beginner’s guide: GO-GN. Retrieved from https://go-gn.net/research/openness-and-education-a-beginners-guide/

Major, C. H. (2015, March 15). Teaching Online a Guide to Theory, Research, and Practice. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/uvic/detail.action?docID=3318874

6 Responses

• Lleist,
    I enjoyed reading your post, including your perspectives regarding the social climate of online education. If we can use technology to bring people together, then I think that there are also ways to use technology creatively to promote social interaction and healthy group dynamics, two important components that increase engagement. We begin by planning to make sure students are provided access to learning and then ask ourselves: How can we use these tools to promote engagement? Where do we begin? It really is a whole new world to explore.

• Hello Jerrod,
      Thank you for this response! I agree, there must be a way to use technology to promote more social interaction and healthy group dynamics. Actually, this leads me to consider where using a system like this, WordPress might come into play. Could students use something like this to converse on alike topics? Could there be a class website in which student teacher, and teacher guardian relationship is fostered in a positive light?

Thanks again!

• Hi Linnea, I really like that you use other papers in your writing to support your idea, and I really understand that you are nervous about not remembering people’s names in online learning. Actually, this kind of thing bothers me too. in last term I had a three people group in one of my major courses, and I sometimes need to refresh my memories by checking their account name to avoid forgetting their name in the middle of our meetings. I also like the sentence you used which came from Consider the Readiness for Change, I think its essential to change our respond in order to change

• Hello Ziqui,
      Thank you for your response. Yes, it is quite an interesting experience to need the refresher on names… I must admit I’m going to need to figure out some method of memorizing names before the fall semester’s face-to-face learning.

Yes, it is important to consider change and how we approach it.

Thanks again for the response and sharing your experience with the names.

• Hi Linnea,

Thanks for this enlightening post. I think you read a different chapter than the one that was assigned, but you seemed to connect with it, so all is well! Other students engaged in Chapter 4 on Course Structure. As you review their posts, you’ll get a sense as to what that chapter explored.

Assuming that we get out of this pandemic and back to “normal”, what do you want your teaching to look like? Do you want to go back to a fully in-person delivery? Would there be benefits for all students of a blended model? Or would there be benefits for a subset of students? You mention access. Are there other benefits?

Ryan

• Hello,
    Thank you for commenting. To respond to your query: I would most want a blended approach where students can make a decision to come to class or log on online based on their need or desire on a given day. Back in face-to-face classes I would have days were i struggled to concentrate or do my best work due to personal issues…. In those situations I would have much preferred to stay in my own comfort zone of home to do work where I know I have all of the things to best support my endeavours.

As a future elementary teacher I could see this being acted on by having a camera positioned in the room to capture a livestream of the class where students choosing to be more remote could still witness the class. Additionally, the teacher would have a monitor that allows them to connect with the chat and the students when unmuted. Finally, if students are meeting in groups it could still work by way of classroom iPads so that all could still be connected.

Honestly your questions are very related to my own passions within the education system as is everyone can have comfortable access to education they may be more inclined to learn.

Thanks again!