Topic 4 Response

This article proved to add leaps and bounds to the information already gained in this class. If I had to compare it to a computer I might say it was like I got a software update. I made this comparison because I had some good understanding of open and distributed learning and their many related topics and inquiries such as the ethics of them. The first thing in this article that provided a helpful context was the definitions of reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute. 

• “Reuse – The right to use content in a wide range of ways (eg. In a class, a study group, on a website, in a video). 
  • Revise – The right to adapt, adjust, modify, or alter the content itself (eg. Translate the content into another language). 
  • Remix – The right to combine the original or revised content with other material to create something new (eg. Incorporate the content into a mashup). 
  • Redistribute – The right to share copies of the original content, your revisions, or your remixes with others (eg. Give a copy of the content to your friend)” (Wiley & Hilton, 2018). 

The next most impactful element of the article was the test to determine if an assignment or project met the standards of an OER-Enabled Pedagogy. “OER-enabled pedagogies result in the creation of supplementary learning resources designed to facilitate the learning of other students. OER- enabled pedagogies can result in the creation of supplementary learning resources designed to improve the understanding of future students” (Wiley & Hilton, 2018). As I was reading this article I was thinking through the various assignments I have completed in my educational endeavours; would they fit into the definitions of OER-Enabled Pedagogies? Honestly, I have to say the majority do not. These didn’t fit because they were mostly papers that would be used once, maybe twice. However, the few assignments that did fit were the ones with additional options for students. With these options in place I was able to expand my practice. In fact, I have been able to create iMovies and then upload them into Youtube for others to access. If I had to be completely honest I think these projects hold the most value for me personally as not only do I learn more, but I have the opportunity to use these projects down the road when I am a practicing teacher. I will attach an example of one of these projects here, https://youtu.be/4CVODNnQ8AY this video shows the viewer how to fold an origami crane. To provide some deeper context this video was created as part of one assignments that was mixing art and technology through iMovie.

I found this chart incredibly helpful in distinguishing any differences that may occur. 

Student Creates an Artifact The Artifact Has Value Beyond Supporting its Creator’s LearningThe Artifact is Made Public The Artifact is Openly Licensed 
Disposable Assignment X
Authentic Assignments XX
Constructionist Assignments XXX
Renewable Assignments XXXX
Copied from Wiley & Hilton, 2018

Finally, the below questions provided in the article allowed me to further articulate how an assignment or project may or may not meet an OER-Enabled Pedagogy.

1. Are students asked to create new artifacts (essays, poems, videos, songs, etc.) or reverse / remix existing OER? 
  2. Does the new artifact have value beyond supporting the learning of its author?
  3. Are students invited to publicly share their new new artifacts / remixed OER? 
  4. Are students invited to openly license their new new artifacts or revised / remixed OER?

I find these questions/test to be incredibly helpful as a developing teacher because I will want to provide a multitude of assignments, projects, or educational resources that fall under the many umbrellas within our practice. Coming from a student who is defined as a Kinaesthetic learner I would have greatly appreciated more opportunity for these different means of expression, content understanding, and the ability to use something more than once allowing me to link back to certain projects or assignments that may add to the desired learning content.

Personally, I will continue to expand my practice in this area so that I will be able to effectively design projects and resources that would fit into the OER-Enabled Pedagogy umbrella. If I had the opportunity I would ask this one remaining questions: To my peers in the educational field how could you see yourselves transforming some of your old assignments, projects, or resources into an OER-Enabled Pedagogy? What steps might you use to this? I ask simply because I want the perspectives of a practicing educator so that I can inform some of my future practice.

4 Responses

• Hi Lleist, thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspectives on the subject of OERs and the four-part test to determine if they meet the criteria for OER-Enabled Pedagogy.

When reflecting on the idea of taking old resources and transforming them into OERs, I think the first step would be to ask students, “who are my audience?” I feel that if students are to successfully engage in any project that meets the criteria as outlined in the four-part test for OER-enabled pedagogy, they need to begin to think about the audience with which they are going to share their learning. Would the audience be another class in a foreign country? The local community? The greater public? How far can these projects go in terms of scope to incorporate perspectives and resources from other groups? How will we involve parents, colleagues, and the school community in these discussions? There are a lot of things consider, which makes it especially important to begin with the students. In my blog I gave an example of a board-game making project where students were able to engage with one another in the classroom and school community to workshop their games. Had I taken the additional step of working with students to create an online site where their games could be shared with others, it would have met the criteria for being an OER. Not all projects can be transformed as easily but if we approach these project with the idea in mind that we are going to be sharing our learning, then the conversation changes and new ideas emerge. Perhaps the best way to go about designing an assignment or project that passes the four-part test is just to start with the end goal in mind and work backwards: this is our destination, so how do we get there? The rest is answered through the process, including all of the bumps and dips along the way.

• Hello LLeist,

I enjoyed reading your thoughts and experiences with OER-enabled pedagogy. As a teacher myself, I agree with Misterbondy with designing your project with the end goal in mind. Some of the questions you might want ask are: What are the learning outcomes I want my students to achieve? Who are my students? What is my teaching philosophy? etc. These are just some of them questions I usually ask before I plan any assignment and it has been helping me to design some successful projects. I also shared one of my projects in my last blog, I would encourage you to check it out.
    I think it’s also important to be patient with yourself when you begin your practice as the myriads of resources (OERs and all) might be overwhelming which could be helpful but also intimidating. One might also easily be distracted and lose the end goal in mind, so it’s crucial to remember that it needs to serve your students, needs to be safe for them and needs to work for you as an educator as well.

• Hi LLeist, Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us! I really enjoyed reading your post, especially the chart you provided, it was so clear to show your point.
    I agree that this article proved to add leaps and bounds to the information already gained in this class. As Klaudia said in her post and the comment I wrote under her post, EDCI338 fits the four questions of determine wether a course is a OER-Enabled Pedagogy course, and we already wrote new artifacts and show them to the public.
    I also like that you point out the definition of the terms like Reuse, Revise, Remix, and Redistribute. I think these things are frequently in used in many kinds of courses, not only to OER-Enabled Pedagogy courses, and they are very helpful in learning and engagement of learning.
    As I comment in others’ posts, I find the four questions of determine OER-enabled pedagogy very important and helpful because they are the questions to help you identify OER-Enabled Pedagogy.
    Also, for the question in the end, yes I would see myself transforming some of my old assignments, projects, resources into OER-Enabled Pedagogy.

• sorry about the wrong spelling for “whether,” sometimes I tap so fast and my computer help me to change the wrong spellings, I really should check everything next time before I post anything.